Friday, February 09, 2007

Why I love CLOTH NAPPIES

I LOVE my cloth nappies. I have trouble understanding why people immediately dismiss cloth nappies as being too hard or other reasons.

Cloth nappies have changed. They are no longer confined to terry towelling squares with PVC plicher covers (though some people still do it this way and don't have any problems). Now, putting on a cloth nappy is just as easy as a disposable, but you just don't throw it out when you've finished with it.

Why I love cloth nappies:

1. SOOOO much cheaper - buying disposable is so expensive. The initial cost of buying cloth may seem expensive but it only takes a month or two to pay themselves off when compared to buying disposables. Even cheaper if you make them yourself (like I do). Some people argue that they are time intensive because of washing and drying, but if 30 mins of my time a week (hanging and folding) is going to save me in excess of $30 per week, that is a choice I am happy to make

2. More environmentally friendly - Some people say that studies have shown that disposables use just as much energy and water as cloth nappies due to the water and energy used to wash this. This is a cop-out excuse to make themselves feel better and is SO LAME.

  • This website is great for outlining the differences between energy/water in cloth and disposable - disposable vs cloth
  • Cloth nappies significantly less to landfill (well duh - you don't have be a rocket scientist to work that one out)
  • It seems that cloth nappies, when considering washing, are more energy efficient (and less greenhouse gases result), but seem to use more water. While water is a precious resource, at least it is renewable (as our state government is just about to prove with the introduction of recycled water).

3. My cloth nappies LOOK so much better than yucky digustables (I mean disposables). They are pocket nappies (a cover with a pocket in it where half a nappy goes for absorbancy) and are so easy to use and look awesome. The pattern was devised by my friend, and on her website has put together an easy to follow lesson and pattern to show how to make them - nappy tutorial.
I have been using this nappy for nearly two years on Owen and haven't looked back :)

Here are some photos of my cuties in their clothies :)
more photos to come

No comments: