Thursday, February 01, 2007

2007 - The Year of "WAKE UP PEOPLE, YOUR KILLING THE PLANET".

There seems to be a real wake up call in the last few months about the environment - well duh people! Climate Change, calls for reduction in greenhouse gases and energy consumption are all over the media.....

It seems that Al Gore has made a great impact on people with his documentary "An Inconvenient Truth". Great job Al, you deserve a MASSIVE pat on the back. Glad you have thrust these issues into the spotlight. Makes me feel a little better too, cause now it seems to be quite fashionable to be environmentally aware - YAY - my ramblings are cool and I'm not being paranoid :).

Our aim, as a family, is to try and live as green as we can, without completely compromising our lifestyle - to be modern day greenies. Keep in mind that we have a young family - so convenience to some degree is still important or else I would lose my sanity.

It's easy. Things we have done (a while ago) to start was change our lights from incandescence's to fluro's. We have tried to buy energy and water efficient appliances. I try feed my family fresh foods in order to minimize the energy spent on creating packaging, not to mention reduce landfill. I am becoming quite conscious about how much packaging some foods come in and try to make appropriate choices.

Today we are getting a heat pump hot water system, which was recommended as the most energy efficient system for our house (over a roof mounted solar hot water system).

What are you doing? I need this planet healthy for my kids.....




No comments: